Although there are many hair products out there which claim that they can repair your split ends, the only way to effectively get rid of them is to trim your hair regularly. Luckily, there are a number of things that you can do to control a problem with split ends once it has occurred:
- Split ends cannot be mended; the only long-term cure is to have them snipped off. What is lost in the length will be gained in quality.
- It may help if you reduce the frequency with which you shampoo, as this in itself is stressful to hair and causes split ends to extend up the hair shaft.
- Never use a dryer too near the hair, or set it on too high a temperature.
- Minimize the use of heated appliances.
- Try conditioners and serums that are designed to seal split ends temporarily and give resistance to further splitting.